Thursday, January 02, 2014

Rounding the final corner... Three weeks until departure!

I used to run the 400-meter sprint in high school.  When the starting gun fired, I took off and just kept pace with the runners around me.  I reserved the rest of my energy until coming around that final turn, when I kicked in and gave everything left in those last 100 meters.  By the time I crossed the finish line, I could barely feel my rubbery legs beneath me.  I was completely out of breath.  I was spent.

Edward and his wolf are ready to go!
While that approach worked great for high school track, it's also unfortunately the way I usually approach packing.  I go about life as usual, in denial of having any significant task before me, and then I run around like mad those last couple of days before leaving, staying up until wee hours of the morning to ready my bags for the flight that departs just a few hours later.  I start my travel already exhausted.

But I'm getting better.  Our frequent travels in Indonesia prompted me to create a packing list on my computer.  Previously, I was recreating this scribbled list on scrap paper a few days before each trip.  And we traveled A LOT.  So instead of rushing about the house trying to make sure I remember everything, now I can just open my document and mark off items as they get tucked away in a suitcase.  (I just hope that Edward doesn't feel the need to "help unpack" when I'm not looking.)

This move being a particularly significant one -- we're not packing for a week away, but instead for a move halfway around the world -- I'm trying to do things in steps and not wait until the last minute.  I've already been shopping for random clothing items and a small supply of various hygiene items to last until we figure out where to buy them in Vietnam.  I've prepped batches of homemade taco seasoning, creole seasoning, and bouillon substitute to bring along.  I'm sure we'll be able to find a lot of the same spices there, but since it will probably be a while before I'm able to say, "Could you tell me where I can find cumin?" I thought it would be nice to have some versatile favorites on hand.

My mom is helping me to sew a cloth "high chair" for Edward.  This will be a much lighter and more portable version to keep our squirmy toddler in one place during meal times, which is considerably more ideal than chasing him around with spoonfuls of food or attempting to hold him in one of our laps.  We have tried both methods on various occasions; they don't work well.

As I think of random things I want to bring along, I toss them into a box to be sorted/packed later: nostalgic Christmas decorations, measuring cups and spoons, earplugs, special batik paintings from Indonesia, a favorite coffee mug...  Keeping in mind that these items, enough clothes for a 4-season climate, and our healthy stash of European strategy games must all fit into six 50-pound bags.  We plan to use a good portion of that luggage allowance for our board games.  Nerds, you say?  Well, we're okay with that.


1 comment:

Michelle C said...

I am sure this process can get stressful so I hope you still have those moments of excitement too. Having packed for two years abroad (and had more sent to us throughout), it's interesting how the items are divided into two camps: practical necessities and then anything that brings comfort or reminds you of home. Both equally important.